Saturday, November 23, 2013

National Adoption Day

Today is National Adoption Day. Today also marks one week since we returned to the United States with our daughter, Elsa.

Throughout the 15 month adoption process I often thought about what this week would be like. I envisioned watching Elsa's eyes get wide at the sight of her new bedroom; I pictured her sitting alongside the girls in the backseat of the van while we drove about town; I wondered about her personality and how it would blend with our family; I hoped that she would be comfortable with us - and most of all, happy.

Well, I am pleased to say that this week has been everything I had imagined and more. Elsa has plugged right into our family - and what an easy transition it has been! She and the girls have become best friends and the highlight of my day is watching as they run into each others arms when school lets out.

I've also been thrilled with the rate at which Elsa is learning English. It is unbelievable! We have absolutely no communication problems whatsoever. She understands everything we say, and - with the exception of a few shy days - she talks constantly. And let's talk about her personality: this girl is funny! She loves to make us laugh and Alexandra even said, "She makes facial expressions as good as Lucille Ball" (that is a huge compliment coming from Alexandra - an I Love Lucy aficionado!).

I'm enjoying these first days and weeks immensely, each moment filled with something new. Watching Elsa discover this new world she lives in has been so rewarding and humbling.

I am grateful she is mine.

  photo 0f5439d8-f2b1-4b19-a7af-f70697eae30e_zps385b867d.jpg 
[One of my favorite photographs from our trip.]
Related Posts with Thumbnails